Monday, January 27, 2020

Short Foxwoods Chinese New Year Trip Report


After only heading to Foxwoods twice in three years, we've managed to have reason to head there about twice a year lately.   We had a one night, one day stay, on the Chinese New Year.




In one of the retail walkways, they had vendors set up with tables, selling Chinese related items as part of the new year celebration.    I stopped a bit at one, marveling at the huge sizes of soy sauce they were selling.   The salesman saw my apparent interest and gave me a bit of a sales pitch.   He said the brand he was selling, Lee Kum Lee, was the Chinese brand equivalent of Campbell's Soup.   Yes, the sizes were mostly restaurant size.  He claimed they were selling the items at prices less than wholesale, but interestingly there were no price signs anywhere near the products.   I didn't see much interest, even from Chinese customers.







A different food vendor below.





Another vendor was selling ornate folding paper cards.  I have no idea if these are machine or hand cut, but they were very impressive.






We expected to see the Foxwoods Chinese restaurant jammed for the New Year celebration, but amazingly, around 6-7pm,  the tables were only about 15% full!



While playing Video Poker, I heard a couple give a bit of a shout.  I turned to see what kind of jackpot they had hit and I immediately saw they had hit a dealt Royal Flush...... on a multi-play machine!





The machine did not lock immediately (as far as displaying the total jackpot), but instead counted, and counted, and counted up the credits.   Eventually it stopped at $4,000, and then fully locked up for the hand pay.

Later I looked back at this.  The $4,000 made sense for a dime ten play machine, but if you note, they had ten coins in per hand.  This means the jackpot was half the size it would be if it were hit on a 10 cent, 10 coin, 10 play machine!

This machine was a "Hot Roll" multiplier machine, and to qualify for the multiplier, you have to play 10 coins instead of 5 per hand, which they did.   However, they did not get a multiplier on this hand.  Had they hit the top one, 12x, this would have been a $48,000 hand!

https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/tables/hot-roll/


My luck started out pretty poorly!  My pre breakfast session was awful, and I started to wonder if I brought enough cash with me, which gave me that sick feeling inside.  Later, things turned around, starting with dealt four 4's in Double Bonus.  Later, good luck continued, as I hit a straight flush.  I set a personal record in getting four dealt four-of-a-kinds on one day!  And to top this all off, I hit a plain old, non multiplier, single line Royal Flush!   A great start to the new year in VP!

Walking around the huge venue, we peeked in and saw the cavernous bingo hall, which was jammed.  I'm guessing there was some kind of special promotion for the Chinese New Year.  Shown here is only about 40% of the room!  Hundreds and hundreds of bingo players!




No comments:

Post a Comment